These are my thoughts on possible Newcomers, Veterans and Replacements, whether it be veterans or newcomers. They could be SSB4 DLC, but this is for if they aren't or are (thus becoming veterans prior to SSB5). I would like to imagine the next Smash having less veterans returning to make room for more newcomers, whether they be their own characters or that, except basically being a "replacement" for a veteran that doesn't make it in. THESE AREN'T FACTS, JUST RANDOM SPECULATION BECAUSE SPECULATION IS FUN.
UPDATE: More character ideas! Newer ones are placed below the 5th choice.
(Avatar character from Fire Emblem if)
Robin in SSB4 is the Avatar character in Fire Emblem: Awakening. Given that this is the Avatar of the the latest Fire Emblem game, Kamui could serve as a replacement for Robin. Obviously like Robin, you can play as either a male or female. Although they're sword-wielders like many Smash characters (and thus some people whine about it), they might be able to do other things for attacks besides just their sword. I don't play Fire Emblem games so I don't know. I do know that for Kamui's Final Smash, he/she could transform into that dragon form seen in this gif below and attack players for a short time before reverting back to normal.
2. Young Link (Melee Veteran)
Okay, okay, okay, hear me out, guys...
We've had Toon Link in 2 Smash games now. Toon Link returned in Smash 4 to represent Wind Waker HD. With Young Link taking his spot back from Toon Link in Smash 5, it could be the represent the 3DS remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, as well as maybe his inclusion in Hyrule Warriors, despite that being a non-canon Zelda game. Young Link could simply be like his Melee self or have a more unique moveset, being most likely a semi-clone like Falco and Ganondorf. His Final Smash could either be a lazy copy + paste Triforce Slash which Toon Link suffered from, or use a temporary Fierce Deity Link transformation, though many would want to keep using FD Link via a palette/costume for normal Link. It would be cute if like the Dark Link palette, Young Link could get an FD-themed costume.
3. Yooka & Laylee (Yooka-Laylee, spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie)
Whether Banjo & Kazooie make it into SSB4 as DLC or not and doesn't manage to return (unless they do via DLC again), this duo could fill in for them. But if Banjo & Kazooie do manage to debut/return in Smash 5 and their successors are in too, then everybody wins! Like Banjo-Kazooie, Yooka-Laylee is being developed by the same people who did those classic Rareware games back in the day.
4. A new Pokémon rep or two
People have been wanting the likes of Sceptile to represent Hoenn (and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire's release) and Zoroark to repesent Unova to be in Smash. All regions so far have been represented except for Hoenn and Unova. Kanto is represented with Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo and Charizard (Ivysaur and Squirtle if you really care for them), Johto with Pichu, Sinnoh with Lucario and Kalos with Greninja.
Here are some popular candidates for a new Pokémon rep.
- Probably the biggest candidate for a new rep and can have Mega Sceptile as it's Final Smash
- Could work if Snivy doesn't return as Pokéball Pokémon. I've no idea how a moveset could be thought up for a snake to be honest.
- Would be pulling a Charizard if it were changed from a Pokéball Pokémon to a playable character, lol.
- Given that it's a Fire-type, it would have to replace Charizard. Funny thing is that when I was a kid, I imagined Blaziken in Smash when I thought of it's Blaze Kick move being similar to Captain Falcon's Falcon Kick. But jeez, people would be upset if Blaziken was a CF clone/semi-clone. We already have Ganondorf for that.
I should add that maybe one or two of the current Pokémon reps could be replaced as a result, unless Sakurai's willing to have more than 6 Pokémon reps, given that the Mario series had LOTS (even if the Koopaling costumes for Bowser Jr. don't count). I'm gonna get flacked for saying this, but maybe Lucario and/or Greninja should be cut. Maybe even Charizard if there's to be a Fire-type. I'm not a Mewtwo fanboy or anything, but I think Mewtwo should stay, given that it was THE most requested veteran for SSB4 and finally we have the loved Psychic-type back. People would be very upset if he was left out again, just sayin'. >_>
5. A new Metroid rep
There have been a couple of candidates for a new Metroid rep (excluding a certain stage boss that should rightfully stay as just that) and I believe these are them, according to the fans.
Dark Samus and Sylux. Dark Samus has potential for a unique moveset despite having somewhat of a similar appearance to Samus's design, but I wouldn't really care if she turned out to be a Samus clone or not. If Zero Suit Samus returns, then we have 3 Samus's. o3o
With Sylux, I guess he/it could work well in Smash, though I never play Metroid games so fans would probably know how he/it could fight.
6. Cross (Avatar Character) and/or Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)Whether Shulk returns or not to Super Smash Bros. 5, the Xenoblade series could get one or two new reps. XCX is a spiritual successor to XC for whatever reason, but the series they're part of is pretty much the same, so same franchise emblem, victory theme and all that. Cross, like Robin and Kamui of the Fire Emblem series, is an avatar character, thus being able to have both male and female designs playable in the game. Elma is the Shulk of XCX, being the main protagonist. I haven't really saw much gameplay of her - all I see is her using guns. She could use whatever else she's got aside from guns as means for a moveset. Her final smash could be piloting a Skell, a mech suit from the game itself.
7. Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening)Here we go... Chrom's been mocked constantly ever since he was revealed to be part of Robin's Final Smash rather than a playable character. Ever since people were speculating about newcomers for SSB4, Chrom was possibly the biggest candidate for a Fire Emblem rep (next to having Roy return). He was widely believed to be a replacement for Ike or a third FE rep due to Ike's return, but nope, Sakurai was unsurprisingly at his usual trolling antics and humiliated the poor swordsman, making him part of the third FE rep's final smash. Sakurai also said that while Robin has a wider variety of things for a moveset (which is true, due to casting spells and all that jazz), Chrom would be just another swordsman. But what about Lucina? She is exactly what Sakurai didn't want with Chrom, thus replacing him with Robin!
Then again, she was planned to be a Marth costume like Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were for Mario and Pit respectively, but Sakurai then made them into clones because of the unique traits they possess in the final game, like Dr. Mario's Dr. Tornado and Lucina's blade doing equal damage on any part of her sword. But I digress... what if Chrom got his chance for another day rather than be a final smash cameo? Especially if Robin doesn't end up returning? (and perhaps being replaced with Kamui)
8. Ninten (EarthBound Zero/Mother 1)
I knew Ninten wouldn't get into SSB4 and he'd likely won't be for SSB4 DLC or SSB5, but a guy can dream, can't he? There are the majority of people who constantly say that Ninten looks just like Ness, but of course designers can update his design for Smash like Pit got for Brawl. This render seen above shows a neat design for Ninten, giving him a Mario-like cap rather than a generic baseball cap that Ness has. He's got potential for a unique moveset or to be a semi-clone like Lucas. Many people would also say he could be a costume for Ness which I also agree on - better than not having him at all, right? I do feel some franchises that have one or two characters could do with more reps - if Mother 2 and 3's protagonists can be in the game, why not the original from Mother 1? Credit goes tofor making the awesome Ninten render.